Ice Sculptures & Caves On the Beach
Ice sculptures on the beach? Yes, and these are not made by ice carvers but by Mother Nature herself. In the winter when the ice begins to coat the lakes, it shifts with the wind. As it blows up on the shore and freezes again, sculptures and caves form. And they are gorgeous.
A walk on the beach in the winter after the ice has settled in is a glorious experience. You can walk on the beach and on the ice. Bring your camera to preserve these special winter memories.
On some days in February and March, the parking lots at the beaches can be as busy as a day in July. Everyone is walking on the beach or is out on the ice. On the inland lakes, the ice season can last three months. On Lake Michigan, it can be a few weeks or in some unlucky winters, not at all. So put on your walking shoes, hats and gloves and hit the beach--in the winter!
Winter in Northern Michigan...
- Cross Country Ski Series at Nub's Nob
- Ski, Board, Snow Conditions Up North
- Winter Fun Up North!
- Winter Activities for Kids & Families
- Sledding and Ice Skating in Northern Michigan
- Skiing and Snowboarding in Northern Michigan
- Cross Country Ski Trails in Northern Michigan
- Boyne Mountain Skiing & Boarding, Boyne Falls in Northern Michigan
- Ski and Snowboard at Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs
- Nub's Nob Skiing & Snowboarding
- Cross Country Skiing in Charlevoix & Boyne City
- Up North Snowmobiling--Superb!
- Ski the Loppet from Harbor Springs to Cross Village
- Winter's Ice Brings Out Skates & Sail Boats
- Ice Sculptures & Caves On the Beach
- Chocolate Covered Boyne
- Have a Heart Valentine's Benefit for Brother Dan's Food Pantry
- March Spring Skiing Fun Up North - Mardi Gras, Krazy Daze, Carnival & More
- Earlier Than the Bird in Boyne City
Northern Michigan's Great Outdoors...
- Discover the Lighthouses of Northern Michigan
- Parks Aplenty in the Petoskey Area
- Petoskey State Park
- Petoskey's Bear River Valley Recreation Area
- Petoskey's Bear River Whitewater Park
- Explore the Dark Sky Park Discovery Trail Near Mackinaw City
- Kid's Fishing Pond in Petoskey
- Searching for Petoskey Stones in Northern Michigan
- Disc Golf Up North in Michigan
- Bike the Little Traverse Wheelway from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix
For more activities & attractions, check out these additional links for Things to Do in Northern Michigan:
Harbor Springs, Michigan -- Harbor Springs is the place to try new things! Rent a bike or a kayak, go snow tubing, attend a concert or an art fair, or play a round of golf with friends.
Petoskey -- There's so much to do in Petoskey from the Bear River Valley Recreation Area, to Petoskey State Park, to biking, golfing, hiking, and more.
Charlevoix, Michigan -- Visiting Charlevoix in Northern Michigan is a fun-filled vacation with great beaches, boating, skiing, fishing and year 'round family fun.
Things to Do in Boyne City, Michigan -- Nothing is quite like Boyne City in Northern Michigan with camping, boating, skiing, year 'round outdoor activities, and of course, the morel mushroom!
Lots of Activities in Mackinaw City, Michigan -- Explore Mackinaw City in Northern Michigan for history, the International Dark Sky Park, and outdoor activities.
Mackinac Island -- Take a step back in time and find lots of things to do when you visit Mackinac Island by horseback or bike--no cars allowed!
Northern Michigan Activities & Things to Do -- Northern Michigan offers many fun things to do for the entire family whatever the season, whatever the reason!